You may think you know everything you need to know about tannin but in what could be our dorkiest podcast yet, we share a bunch of nerdy facts about tannin. And the show outline:
What are tannins?
- They're the stuff that makes your mouth feel dry or pucker after you drink a red wine or a white that’s been aged in oak.
- They are polyphenols – Chemical compounds in reds that easily bind to stuff, change often
- They affect color, flavor, and structure of the wine and act as a preservative – tannic wines can be cellared for a long time
- They are Important in food and wine pairing – protein helps minimize tannins
Where do tannins come from?:
- Found in skin, stems, seeds or from barrels or wood chips (tannin powder in the cheap wine)
- Some words on tanning leather and how tannins impact animal skins
- Vineyard management and winemaking
We then cover tannic food and high tannin wines including the big four:
- Cabernet Sauvignon
Enjoy and please drop any comments or questions here or on Facebook or Twitter!
Direct download: 99_Ep_099__What_is_Tannin_.mp3
-- posted at: 11:14pm EDT