Sep 10, 2017
After a few listener questions on what WFNP was, is, and will
be, we hit restart. We talk about: What if you or a friend were new
to wine? How should they approach the subject? Where should they
start? We answer & then add a few words from our 1st listener,
Here are the show notes:
1. We answer:
- What is Wine for Normal People?
- Who are our listeners?
- How did WFNP get started and where is it going?
- The climate of wine now v. when we started
2. We then shift gears and address the topic of introducing wine
novices to wine appreciation. Phase one of the intro
- Do a little research before you drink. Mainly on yourself -
figure out what kinds of foods you like to eat. NOT For pairing –
for finding wines that fit your profile.
- Go by fruit groups, start with wines that taste like fruit,
Don't start sweet
- Buy the best version you feel comfortable buying (a tier or two
- Have them with cheese or food
- Take note of what you like. Explore that grape from different
places. Then find things that are similar
3. Phase 2 involves:
- Listen to the podcast on topics you like. Read or listen in
digestible bits. Do you like history? Do you like food? Do you like
travel? Architecture? Science? What do you like to read about or
know about? Wine has it all. Start with whatever topic is
fascinating vis a vis wine.
- Read Wine Folly or Vine Pair to get digestible bits of
- Remember: what grows together, goes together
- Be an explorer – keep pushing yourself into new wines, don’t
get hung up on 1 wine type because you like it. If you don’t
like a wine or a region, keep at it. Try at least 1 a year from
various classic regions – BTG or buy a bottle. Just to check in on
your palate evolution.
- Keep reading, keep listening, take WFNP classes, which will
soon be online
Contest!! If you bring two friends
who want to know more about wine, and have them like the page
and listen to the podcast. I'll pick one of these groups and reward
them with a free online live chat on any wine topics they wish.
Post on Social Media with their names and I'll select a winning