Apr 7, 2018
Famous CNN weatherman and meteorologist, Derek Van Dam, comes on to school us about how weather and climate work and we discusstheir effects on vineyards and regions the world 'round. A fun, lively show with a great friend and smart guy!
Follow Derek on Social Media!!!
Here are some of the topics we discuss:
1. The difference between weather and climate
2. What is climate change? How many years of data do we use to predict or confirm it? What is climate change doing to places that grow wine grapes:
3. Given that the climate seems to be heating up the world, what new regions of the world could be suitable for agriculture/viticulture that weren’t previously?
4. Is there ANY validity to the affect of lunar cycles on the land/agriculture (a la biodynamic philosophy)?
5. What do you think about the Farmer’s Almanac and other long-term prediction tools for weather? How far in advance can you actually tell what’s going to happen with weather?
6. What is the jet stream?
7. What are the effects of fog, wind, ocean currents, hail, La Niña and El Niño?
Thanks to our sponsor this week:
The Great Courses Plus -- who makes you smarter and more well rounded! With thousands of outstanding video lectures that you can watch or listen to any time and anywhere, The Great Courses Plus is an easy way to stimulate your brain and make you smarter! For a free trial, support the show and go to my special URL thegreatcoursesplus.com/wine
The Great Courses Plus has a wonderful National Geographic Live! Series that I recommend checking out: Celebrating Human Cultures! It explores fascinating civilizations around the world like: aboriginal Australia, the women of Afghan, the people of Cuba and it's led by photographers, travel writers, and other experts from National Geographic. It's a great glimpse into how other people live around the world!