Thu, 31 December 2015
To usher in 2016, we bring you a poem to make you smile and laugh. Thank you for listening in 2015 -- you are truly the best audience in the world!
Tue, 22 December 2015
What are the worst gifts a wine lover can receive? From the wine bra, to the wine stein to gas station wine, we go over the worst of the worst, in hopes that we can prepare you for what may be awaiting you under the tree! You won't believe this stuff! Here's the list with links:
There are some bad ones in there! Check it out and never buy these for anyone! Merry Christmas and thanks for listening!
Tue, 8 December 2015
Michelle DeFeo is a rock star of the Champagne world. She's a fabulous businesswoman, a Champagne nerd, and a normal wine person! We discuss everything from Bon Jovi to being a woman in the wine biz to differences in Champagne styles to flutes vs wine glasses.
Here are more detailed show notes:
Finally Michelle tells us what she'll be drinking for the holidays!
A super informative podcast with a great lady. The wine is delicious too -- so put it on the list!
Direct download: Ep_148__Michelle_DeFeo_President_of_Laurent-Perrier_Champagne.mp3
Category:Champagne, French wine -- posted at: 4:21pm EDT
Sat, 21 November 2015
Happy Thanksgiving! We discuss the ideal wines to go with this hard-to-pair meal with specifics down to producers in some cases! We focus on American wines for this very American holiday.
Here is the line up this year (explanations all included in the podcast!):
1. American sparkling
2. Off-dry Riesling, Chenin Blanc or Gewurztraminer
3. Dry rosé
4. Oregon Pinot Noir
5. Central Coast or Washington State Syrah
From our family to yours -- a happy, safe, fun Thanksgiving! Enjoy!
Tue, 17 November 2015
Entrepreneur Stephen Bolger discusses VINIV, his company that allows people make their own Bordeaux wine using grapes from top vineyards & help from the top winemaking talent in the region. We discuss this cool concept plus how best to explore Bordeaux wine.
Here's an outline of what we talk about:
Enjoy! And check out the winefornormalpeople.com/classes link for our live, interactive classes!
Direct download: 146_Ep_146_Stephen_Bolger_of_VINIV__Make_Your_Own_Bordeaux.mp3
Category:Bordeaux wine -- posted at: 1:30am EDT
Sun, 8 November 2015
It's getting cooler in the northern hemisphere (and it's still not hot in the southern one!) so we thought we'd make some recommendations for what you could get to drink well this fall!
Before we get to it, we announce FALL/WINTER CLASSES! Please head to winefornormalpeople.com/classes to register!
And here are the slots:
Let us know what you wind up getting or if you have any new favorites from our recommendations!
Fri, 23 October 2015
We talk with Marcello Lunelli, chief winemaker for Ferrari, producer of high end, Metodo Classico sparkling wine in Trentino, Italy. It's great wine. We discuss:
1. Trentino -- its unique location and how the terroir, the Dolomite Mountains, and the soil make the area so special and different from other parts of northeast Italy.
2. The economic situation of Trentino and how Pinot Grigio has been a curse and a blessing for the area.
3. Marcello's background: his education, his experiences abroad, and his philosophies on how to make superb sparkling wine, including the importance of organic viticulture to Ferrari and the difference it makes.
4. How sparkling is making headway in Italy and how Ferrari is at the forefront of the movement.
5. The difference between Trentino metodo classico and Franciacorta in Lombardy.
6. The long history of Ferrari -- they've been around since 1902 -- and how the Lunelli family learned high quality winemaking from the master, Giulio Ferrari.
7. The challenge of making high quality sparkling at scale: How to make a large volume of wine while maintaining quality of a small winery.
Marcello's passion comes through in the wine. It's excellent -- a MUST try and a great value for what's in the bottle!
Direct download: 144_Ep_144__Trentino_Sparkling_Wine_with_Marcello_Lunelli_of_Ferrari.mp3
Category:sparkling wine -- posted at: 12:36am EDT
Wed, 14 October 2015
In this episode we talk about the enormous and growing popularity (in North America) of red blends.We discuss:
Thanks for listening! Enjoy!
Sun, 11 October 2015
Happy Thanksgiving Canadians! In this mini episode we recommend some wines to have on the table...and a way to serve them! We are thankful for you!
Here are the wines we mention:
Sparkling wine / sparkling rosé
Off-dry Riesling or Chenin Blanc (Spätlese or Vouvray)
Northern Rhône -- Crozes-Hermitage, St-Joseph
Sweet wines: Vins doux Naturels, Port
Direct download: Mini_Podcast__Pairings_for_Canadian_Thanksgiving_FINAL.mp3
Category:wine, Thanksgiving -- posted at: 12:45pm EDT
Sun, 27 September 2015
Portugal has a rich winemaking tradition, a long history with wine, and lots of great wine regions. With a ton of indigenous grapes and a variety of climates across regions, it's a fascinating wine powerhouse and it's on the rise!
Portugal is a fascinating place. It's a lot to digest because the grapes, region, and language are unfamiliar to many of us but the wine is worth seeking out. It's only getting better!