Sat, 21 February 2015
It's the Chinese New Year so it's time for a pairing podcast! M.C. Ice is fascinated that you can successfully pair wine with Chinese cuisine, but after serious experimentation I made a believer of him.
A few key notes:
1. Slightly sweet Riesling and Vouvray are the MVPs with Chinese. You can't go wrong with these wines because they have full fruit, sugar to counteract the spice, and acidity to keep the flavors lively.
2. Sweet and sour dishes are great with rosé or Alsace
3. With meat dishes, Beaujolais is the MVP but rosé could work for pork buns
4. With seafood, try Muscadet or Albariño
5. Fried rice with egg can take Prosecoo, Viognier or a full Chardonnay
6. Dim sum is hard, but Riesling is your MVP!
If you're a Chinese food lover, you'll love this podcast! Please let us know what you think about these pairings and add some of your own!
Happy Year of the Goat/Sheep!
Mon, 9 February 2015
You asked for it and we delivered! Per the request of many listeners, we revisit Spain in this episode.
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you don't have to look hard to find values from Spain. But beyond Rioja and Ribera del Duero, where you should look for great red wines that won't break the bank? Some of the best red wines are from regions you may not know. In this episode we talk about:
These are some of the best red wine values in the world! Enjoy and let us know what you think!
Mon, 2 February 2015
It's Groundhog Day in the US, which means, according to the namessake movie, we get a do-over! So we re-do the episode on aging -- we discuss what to hold, why, and the history behind it. We talk about ideal storage conditions & why we don't cellar wine.
We hit on:
Hope you enjoy and learn more this time than the last time we covered this!