Thu, 27 August 2015
As a follow up to episode 138 on the Finger Lakes wine region, we interview Fred Frank, grandson of the man who made growing premium wine grapes on the East Coast of America possible. Fred tells Konstantin's fascinating, important story & shares the ins & outs of cool climate viticulture. A must listen -- Dr. Frank is the reason viticulture exists in unorthodox regions around the US.
Direct download: 139_Ep_139__Fred_Frank_of_Dr_Konstatin_Frank_in_Finger_Lakes_NY.mp3
Category:New York State Wine -- posted at: 7:32pm EDT
Fri, 21 August 2015
After a trip to this stunning region full of kind people and delicious wines, we can finally report on it!
To understand this region, you've got to get into a serious dork out mode because the story of how vinifera grapes can grow in this cold place goes all the way back to the glaciers! So briefly, in this podcast we cover:
1. The importance of the Lake Effect and how depth matters to grape growing
2. Weather and what that can do to a vine
3. Grapes and how Riesling is a goddess in the Finger Lakes, and unlike Riesling anywhere else
4. Glaciers, soils, and other nerdy earth-science stuff that relates to grape growing here.
5. History of the region and preview of the soon-to-be-released podcast with Fred Frank, grandson of the pioneer of east coast vinifera winemaking, Dr. Konstantin Frank
6. How to get these wines
After you hear this you're definitely going to want to get your hands on these wines or visit the region. A great story, and a fascinating region! Enjoy!