Portugal has a rich winemaking tradition, a long history with wine, and lots of great wine regions. With a ton of indigenous grapes and a variety of climates across regions, it's a fascinating wine powerhouse and it's on the rise!
- We discuss the 4000 year history of winemaking in Portugal
- We talk about the challenges Portugal has had in recent decades and how its winemaking is getting back on track
- We talk grapes and how most of them are native to Portugal
- We discuss the classification system: Vinho de Mesa, Vinho Regional, Indicação de Proveniência Regulamenta (IPR), Denominação de Origem Controlada
- And then we hit the regions:
- Vinho Verde
- Tras Os Montes
- Do Tejo
- Península de Setúbal
Portugal is a fascinating place. It's a lot to digest because the grapes, region, and language are unfamiliar to many of us but the wine is worth seeking out. It's only getting better!