Jul 21, 2017
This time, an outstanding interview with Oded Shakked of the
small Russian River Valley producer, Longboard Vineyards.
Although he's been making wine for most of his life in California,
Oded is originally from Israel and has a global perspective on
wine, winemaking, and wine business that's refreshing and
fascinating. He's fantastic and all his wines are delicious,
well-balanced, and all are made to accompany food.
Here are the show notes:
- Oded shares his amazing story, from being a kid in Israel to
discovering surfing, traveling the world, and then winding up at UC
Davis in Sonoma to study winemaking.
- We talk about what things used to be like in Napa and Sonoma,
and what a winemaking degree from UC Davis gave to Oded that was so
- Oded discusses his love of Sonoma and why it's so special to
- We discuss the changes that have occurred over the years in
Sonoma and what Oded has seen in the food and wine scene -- for
good and bad.
- Oded is a deep thinker. We tap into some of that brain power
when he discusses his philosophy on food and wine, and how it helps
him makes wines of balance
- Since he is one of the few winemakers in California that does a
full line of still wine and also makes a Methode Champenoise
sparkling wine, he uses this unique experience to tell us the
differences in mentality you need to make each type of wine (a very
- We chat about Syrah (Oded's is stunning!) and why it isn't as
popular as it should be.
All in all a fascinating conversation with a great winemaker, a
guy with great perspective on the last 30 years in Sonoma, and an
all around nice person!
Go visit Longboard when you're in Healdsburg: https://www.longboardvineyards.com