Aug 18, 2018
In this podcast I have a fascinating conversation with the head of Global Growth for www.wine-searcher.com, Suzanne Kendrick. The company is based in New Zealand and they are the ultimate intersection between tech and wine -- essentially the Google of wine prices.
From their site,
"The Wine-Searcher database and search engine bring together wines and prices from merchants around the world. It was created in 1999, and is now used by millions to locate, compare and purchase wines. The database grows daily and is constantly monitored for quality. Manual and automated procedures are run daily to remove lists that are out-of-date or incorrect in any way."
If you want to know what the average price/worth of a wine is, look no further than this site. It's revolutionized the industry and added a transparency for us, as buyers, that would be unthinkable before it existed. A fascinating podcast and one that will have you hopping on the site all the time if you've never used it before!!
Here are some of the topics we discussed:
1. Wine-Searcher has over 90,000 listings from all over the world. We talk about how they use technology to get updated pricing from retailers nightly. It's a cool discussion on how the tech works!
2. We talk about the business model for www.wine-searcher.com -- how it makes its money and how it caters to its various audiences, from collectors to retailers to suppliers.
3. Suzanne tells us about how she's used data to see worldwide shifts in buying habits.
4. Wine-Searcher has had an enormous influence on the wine trade -- pricing transparency and democratization of pricing has been a direct result of this tool. We talk about the how and why of this influence.
5. We discuss the future of the company, now that Martin Brown, the founder recently stepped down and Julian Perry took the role of CEO
I've used Wine-searcher.com for over a decade and I find it invaluable. From pricing, to data, to summaries on regions, it's a key part of the wine landscape. Check it out!
And thanks to this week's sponsors!
YOU! The podcast supporters on Patreon, who are helping us to make the podcast possible and who we give goodies in return for their help!Check it out today: https://www.patreon.com/winefornormalpeople
Who doesn't want to learn!? The Great Courses Plus makes you smarter and more well rounded. With thousands of outstanding video lectures that you can watch or listen to any time and anywhere, The Great Courses Plus is an easy way to stimulate your brain and make you smarter!
Learn how to add nuance to your cooking and eat healthy with The Everyday Gourmet: The Joy of Mediterranean Cooking
For a free trial, support the show and go to my special