Feb 5, 2018
In this episode, I talk to the Zinmasters of the Dry Creek Valley, Andrew & April Nalle. Nalle has been making Zinfandel in a milder style than most other wineries -- with balance, acidity, & finesse for nearly 40 years. Andrew recently took over the winery from his dad, Zin legend Doug Nalle. The Nalle story -- it's past and future -- is a family story and one that represents the small producers of Sonoma well.
A few things we discuss...
- Nalle's 100+ year family history in Dry Creek Valley and its history with making wine.
- The power of Zinfandel and how it doesn't have to be what you traditionally think of when you think of the grape.
- April Nalle's fascinating background in grower relations, and how she made it as one of the only women in a male dominated field
- Andrew's winemaking philosophy, what he's learned from his dad and how he will carry forward the Nalle Zin tradition
- We nerd out about Zin, about the land, and about the mother of the Zin vine, Crjlenak Kastelanski, which Andrew has tried!
- Finally we wrap by talking about Andrew and April's thoughts for the future, as they take over from Andrew's folks.
Truly normal people, who make great wine! www.nallewinery.com