May 26, 2018
Wine and cheese are perfect partners and knowing more about each
will help you go from good to great with pairings! Cheese Master
Jill Davis of Murray's Cheese tells us all about cheese and we
discuss how best to pair certain types of cheese with wine!
Here are the notes:
- There is an amazing parallel history of fermented stuff -- we
discuss the evolution of wine and cheese and how they are so very
- Jill gives us a primer on how to make cheese. We talk cows,
sheep, goats, and buffalo and how seasons, geography, and diet all
make a huge difference in how our cheese tastes. Little Miss Muffet
gets a nod in this part of the show too (curds -n- whey,
- We discuss the various categories of cheese --fresh, bloomy
rind, washed rind and what fits where.
- We talk about why European cheese is different/better than the
cheese available in the US and UK often.
- While still discussing cheese making and types, we weave in
lots of info about pairing.
- Bloomy rinds and Champagne
- blue and a great sweet German Auslese
- medium cheeses like wax Gouda with Beaujolais
- washed rind or aged cheese with tannic, barrel aged reds.
- And our favorite adage "what grows together, goes
- Finally, I offer some commentary on how wine may need to become
more like cheese to get rid of the snobbery. It's up for debate,
but it's food for thought!
Thanks to Jill Davis for her time and deep knowledge and to our
sponsors this week!
Thank you to our sponsors this week:
YOU! The podcast supporters on Patreon, who are
helping us to make the podcast possible and who we give
goodies in return for their help!Check it out today: https://www.patreon.com/winefornormalpeople
- You can use the Vivino app to scan and keep track of
- NOW -- Shop through their web store, which has great prices and
a huge inventory! It can give you suggestions based on bottles
you’ve liked in the past.
- Use their premium service to get 30 days free shipping
- Visit www.Vivino.com/WineForNormalPeople to stock
- Audible is a leading provider of premium digital spoken audio
information and entertainment on the Internet.
- Audible content includes an unmatched selection of audiobooks
and other audio products.
- You can sign up as an Audible Listener, which gives them book
credits each month for a low monthly fee.
- Download and access books on your iPhone, Android device, Fire
tablet, iPod or other mp3 Player. Flip between reading and
listening as you like!
- I downloaded Cork Dork! A great book,
so check it out! Audible.com/wine or text WINE to
500-500 for a free audiobook with a 30 day free trial! www.audible.com/wine
Last Bottle Wines finds great wines and offers them at a one
time discount. Last Bottle Wines:
- Is a fun way to discover the best wines at the lowest
- Maintains relationships with producers in the most prestigious
wine regions around the world and traveling to Europe several times
each year to eat with, stay with, drink with, walk the vineyards
with the people who make the wines.
- Offer a range of prices from low end to high end $9 to $99 and
the wines range from the lesser known kinds like Albariño and
Bläufrankish to Cabernet, Merlot and Chardonnay.
Visit: http://lastbottlewines.com/normal and
join to get a $10 instant credit to use toward your first order.
Invite your wine drinking pals and they’ll get $10 instantly and
you get $30 when they make their first buy.