Mar 25, 2011
Building on last week's episode of "How to Speak to a
Sommelier," we get into it on wine etiquette basics. Believe it or
not, there are some unwritten rules about tasting wine in a formal
setting. Whether you’re at a winery, wine bar, or a fancy
dinner, Elizabeth and Rick help by explaining ‘wine etiquette’.
Thanks to Matt M. and Brandy for leaving
comments on the blog and giving us the idea for this show
topic! We love when you suggest stuff for us to talk about!
- Shout-outs - Awesome reviews
on iTunes, the
page. Thank you so much for engaging
with us and for giving us great feedback. The motivation is huge
for us to keep doing cool stuff and making
the 'cast better and better! You are
- Huge props to Steve Paulo at Notes from the
Cellar - a wine blog that previously covered
for Visiting Tasting Rooms, some of which we
covered and some that we didn't!
- Main Topic - Wine Etiquette
- We go through the whole presentation schtik in a restaurant --
and tell you what to do with the cork (don't bite it PLEASE!).
- I don't mention my pet peeve about fingerprints on the bowl of
glass, but instead we tell you the real reason why you should hold
a glass by the stem or the base.
- We discuss the spit or swallow controversy...in a tasting of
course (you didn't think we were going X-rated on you, did
- I can't help myself and discuss the dos and don'ts when you
attend a wine class with an expert (I may sound rude, but from my
angle, if you don't want to learn, don't go!).
- Rick and I explore the etiquette of wine tasting rooms and what
you can expect when visiting...including the burning question: When
visiting a tasting room, are you obligated to buy a bottle of
- And lots more!
- Grape of the Week - Merlot (I don't know if we
did a great job explaining this one, to be honest so if you have
questions, pop 'em over. At least I admit it...)
- We didn't say it, but next week is Food & Wine
Pairing...it's my take on it, so a little different than the usual
spiel. Tune in for more!