Fri, 23 October 2015
We talk with Marcello Lunelli, chief winemaker for Ferrari, producer of high end, Metodo Classico sparkling wine in Trentino, Italy. It's great wine. We discuss:
1. Trentino -- its unique location and how the terroir, the Dolomite Mountains, and the soil make the area so special and different from other parts of northeast Italy.
2. The economic situation of Trentino and how Pinot Grigio has been a curse and a blessing for the area.
3. Marcello's background: his education, his experiences abroad, and his philosophies on how to make superb sparkling wine, including the importance of organic viticulture to Ferrari and the difference it makes.
4. How sparkling is making headway in Italy and how Ferrari is at the forefront of the movement.
5. The difference between Trentino metodo classico and Franciacorta in Lombardy.
6. The long history of Ferrari -- they've been around since 1902 -- and how the Lunelli family learned high quality winemaking from the master, Giulio Ferrari.
7. The challenge of making high quality sparkling at scale: How to make a large volume of wine while maintaining quality of a small winery.
Marcello's passion comes through in the wine. It's excellent -- a MUST try and a great value for what's in the bottle!
Direct download: 144_Ep_144__Trentino_Sparkling_Wine_with_Marcello_Lunelli_of_Ferrari.mp3
Category:sparkling wine -- posted at: 12:36am EDT
Wed, 14 October 2015
In this episode we talk about the enormous and growing popularity (in North America) of red blends.We discuss:
Thanks for listening! Enjoy!
Sun, 11 October 2015
Happy Thanksgiving Canadians! In this mini episode we recommend some wines to have on the table...and a way to serve them! We are thankful for you!
Here are the wines we mention:
Sparkling wine / sparkling rosé
Off-dry Riesling or Chenin Blanc (Spätlese or Vouvray)
Northern Rhône -- Crozes-Hermitage, St-Joseph
Sweet wines: Vins doux Naturels, Port
Direct download: Mini_Podcast__Pairings_for_Canadian_Thanksgiving_FINAL.mp3
Category:wine, Thanksgiving -- posted at: 12:45pm EDT